Meal time conversation starters for early years settings
Conversations with children at meal times are an important factor to the enjoyment of a meal time and also to encourage children to try new foods. Below we have listed some conversation starters if you need new inspiration on what to talk to the children about
- Tell me the colours of food you see on the plate
- How many different foods are on your plate?
- What food do you want to eat first? Second? Or third?
- Do you have a favourite food on your plate that you would like to eat more of? Why?
- What country do you think the meal we are eating comes from?
- How do you think food gives you superhero strength?
- If you could only eat one fruit/vegetable forever – what would it be?
- What is your most favourite food you have while at childcare?
- What new foods would you like to try?
- What is your favourite part about mealtimes?
- If you could be a vegetable, what would it be and why?
- If you could be a fruit, what would it be and why?