Great Winter Warmer – Fragrant Dahl
PREP & COOK TIME 45 MINUTES
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes (more if wanted)
- 1 teaspoon of brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of Indian or Sri Lankan curry powder
- Chapatti (optional)
1. Simmer the lentils in 750ml of boiling water for about 20 minutes or until soft. Ensure that you stir a few times during cooking to make sure that the lentils do not stick to the bottom of the pot. Do not drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft.
3. Add the chilli, mustard seeds, turmeric and curry powder and cook until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
4. Stir in the undrained lentils and cook over a medium heat for a few minutes or until the mixture is heated through and slightly creamy.
5. Serve alone or with chapatti (Indian flat bread)