Vegetable based dips make a healthy snack choice and can be used as a spread on sanwiches and wraps. It should come as no surprise that dips top the list of the perfect party food. They are fun to eat and simple and easy to prepare.
Dips can be a great way to get kids trying new vegetables. Serve them with celery and carrot sticks or crackers. Why not try our Easy Avocado and Basil Smash or Roasted Garlic Hummus?
- 1 large avocado (needs to be ripe)
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup sliced basil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- Cut avocado in half, discard the seed and place flesh into a bowl
- Roughly smash avocado with a fork (or potato masher) until it’s still chunky
- Stir through lemon juice, sliced basil and paprika. Season with pepper
- Add a small amount of diced red onion or spring onion if you desire
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 5 garlic cloves
- 400g can of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- ½ cup lemon juice lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees. Remove papery skin from garlic cloves, coat them lightly with oil and wrap loosely in foil. Bake for 20 minutes until softened.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and place in a food processor. Process all ingredients until the mixture is smooth. E.g. roasted garlic, tahini, lemon juice, oil and cumin powder.
- Serve with pita chips or vegetable sticks.