Using storytime with parents to promote vegetables and fruit to young children
Partners: Queensland AEDI Community Action Grant
The project targeted parents and families of Caboolture, Caboolture South and Deception Bay.
The storybook sessions aimed to encourage local families and carers of 3 year old children to:
- Read aloud and share stories together, to promote language, literacy skills and brain development
- Recognise perceived enjoyment of different vegetables and fruit, thus increasing acceptability of these foods
- Convey and reinforce health messages, to potentially elicit changes in children’s eating and activity behaviours
- Gain confidence, skills and awareness on the importance of healthy nutrition, particularly in increasing vegetable and fruit intake
- Adopt and promote healthy lifestyle behaviours
NAQ delivered 14 storytime sessions across Caboolture, Caboolture South and Deception Bay. Free copies of the storybook were distributed to children who attended the sessions.